Definition By Mayo Clinic staff
Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus.Fetal fibronectin is often present in cervical secretions during early pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also shows up later in pregnancy, about one to three weeks before labor begins. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she may test a swab from your cervical canal for the presence of fetal fibronectin. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor.
People have been asking what exactly this test is and does so I figured it be easiest to refer to the experts above to explain. I just got a call from my Dr's office and the good news is todays test was negative!!! Praise the Lord and thank you for your prayers!!! Below is what a negative result indicates:
Negative. A negative result means that fetal fibronection isn't present. This indicates that your pregnancy is likely to continue for at least another week. In fact, a negative result may be the most powerful benefit of the test — allowing you and your health care provider to relax a bit with the knowledge that a premature birth isn't imminent
We are so excited that the test came back negative and that it looks as of now that we are good to go for another week! Obviously this is not 100% and we know that anything can still happen at any moment, but it surely helps us to relax a bit! We also were told yesterday that my cervix was starting to funnel...I was unsure what this meant so I asked my Dr today and basically this means its starting to dilate on the inside. But we are going to continue to pray and stay positive and take things one day at a time. We will go back next Wednesday to the Dr and in the meantime I can continue bedrest at home!!! I am so thankful to have an excellent team of Dr's that are staying so on top of things and taking such good care of our girls and me!
This week things have really started to hit me...I am feeling the affects of a multiple pregnancy to say the least. One of the nurses put it best yesterday..."your body already thinks you are past 40 weeks". Boy does it ever. I have blown up like a balloon to top it all off...I am sure the steroids are not helping that either, but hey we will do anything to help our girls! No more physical therapy is not helping either, but in order to keep the girls growing I have to listen to the Dr's. I know that all of the pain, no sleep, horrible acid reflux, uncomfortable beyond belief, waddling, pressure, contractions, swelling, peeing like its my job, mood swings, headaches, insides being a punching bag including the ribs, not being allowed to do anything, stress, etc, and super tough days are all going to be so worth it! I cannot wait to meet you Makayla and Makenzie, but its not time yet so please listen to your parents and stay put and let these steroids do their job, and keep growing as strong as can be!!! We love you so much and know you are worth every single bit of this and we thank the Lord for you every step of the way no matter what!!! XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment