June 17, 2011

35 Week Checkup

Today was our week 35 OB checkup and it went very well. Makayla's heart rate was in the 140's and Makenzie's was in the 130's. Both very strong. We also had the strep B test, but since we have a scheduled C-Section the only way it would affect us is if we go into labor before the scheduled date. But they still do it just in case.

The Dr also did a cervical check and drumroll please...we have made progress people!!! My cervix is "VERY thin thin thin" in the Dr's words and 80% effaced. I am also a "loose 1cm dilated" (what is the difference in loose and just dilated I have no idea, but thats what the dr kept saying?!). Now if I was going to deliver vaginally being 1cm dilated may not mean all that much, but because we are having a c-section its a different story. Basically if I am having regular contractions she wants me to call and go to Labor and Delivery immediately, and even if I just get to 2cm dilated she considers that active labor/progress and we would go ahead and deliver. They do not want me to go past 3cm so we will keep an eye on things. This week my contractions have become more regular and a lot different (by different I mean way more painful, in my back, take my breath away for real, have not slept in 4 days, and cannot move without having them different)...I really should have called the other night when they lasted for hours, but I didn't want to overreact so by the time the Dr office opened and I got ready to call of course they had stopped so I just decided to wait until today's appointment to let her know. She said if that happens again to not wait and seemed a little upset that I did that, but its so hard considering I have been contracting for months to know the difference which she totally understood.

As of now we have a growth scan and follow up for Makenzie's brain scheduled on Monday at Duke  so we will also have a labor check that day as well now. Of course if anything happens this weekend we will go to L and D.

In the meantime we (by we I mean Carl) are going to finish up things around the house and spend some time together and hopefully with some family as well. Who knows...could be our last weekend as just the two of us?! CRAZY!!!!! Or maybe the girls want to surprise their daddy with the best fathers day ever!!! Keep us in your prayers!

June 15, 2011

Belly Shots week 32-34

Here are some recent growth of the belly shots for week 32 to 34. Around 32 weeks is when the swelling became really bad and has been up and down since then so I tried to pick out the pictures that showed the least swelling. Some days I don't know if I can possibly grow anymore and then low and behold I wake up bigger and bigger every day...all for you my lil M and M's!!!

Funny Twins arguing inside of mom




*example of what it feels like is going on most of the time in my belly…we have some fun times to look forward to ;)

June 13, 2011

We have a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I just got the call from the Dr's office and we have a date set for the C-Section!!! As of now it is scheduled for June 28 at 7:30 AM!!! Of course anything can happen between now and then, but we now know that no matter what we will be meeting our girls in 15 days or less!!! I have so many crazy emotions going on right now that I was not expecting at all, but we could not be any more excited and are trusting that God has the perfect date and time already picked out and this just could be it!!! Woooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We cannot wait to meet you Makayla Faith and Makenzie Grace!!! We love you both so much!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2011

34 Week appointment update

Today's appointment went really well. The Dr's and the nurses were so excited that we have made it to 34 weeks and just kept saying how proud they are of us and really could not believe it!!! This made me feel really good to hear this from them!

Basically today was a typical weekly check up for the most part. Blood pressure was good, urine was good, cervix has thinned, Makayla's head has dropped even more, and the babies hearts were beating away. The only difference was we discussed that as of now we are planning for a c-section because Makenzie is still transverse. So I am waiting on the scheduler to call me back to set a date!Woooohoooooo!!!Typically with twins they will schedule a c-section at 38 weeks which is when they consider twins full term, but the Dr took one look at me after she said that and said but...I was so thankful to hear that but!!! She went on to say she can see how miserable I am and was truly shocked at how swollen I am and how much water I am retaining from head to toe (she called it "twins swelling"...I'm pretty sure she made this up), and then we also discussed the fact that I have been on months of bed rest plus all the pre-existing conditions. With all of that going on combined with the fact we had the steroid shots to develop the babies lungs (back around 29 weeks when they thought I could go into labor at any moment) she felt comfortable to schedule it at 37 weeks!!! I smiled so big when the Dr said 37 weeks that she got all excited because she said that's the first time she has seen that big smile in months! So we have an end in sight and are sooooooo excited!!! Of course anything can happen between now and then, but  like the Dr said it makes such a difference to at least have that date and know that no matter what we will meet our girls soon enough! All that matters to us is that the girls are healthy...so whatever it takes for that to happen we will do! Another thing I was happy to learn today is that the day of the scheduled c-section we will have an ultrasound right before to see if anything has changed and if they are both head down we will try for a vaginal delivery...if not we will stick with the original plan of the c-section. No matter when it happens at this point we know God is in control and has a plan for us, and we cannot wait to love on our sweet M and M's!!! Thank you all for your sweet thoughts and prayers throughout all of this...they have definitely been heard and been such an encouragement!

June 6, 2011

Sorry it has taken me all day to update you guys...I did not get ANY sleep last night and have not felt well at all today so I have just been trying to rest. Anyhow our appointment this morning went well overall. I was a little dissapointed when we first got into the ultrasound room to find out that we were not having a growth scan. Evidentally its not very accurate to do a growth scan any more than once a month. So we will have to wait two more weeks for the next. But the most important part of today was Makenzie's ventricles in her brain and a quick peak at their organs and hearts.

The technician started out by looking at Makayla and had a hard time getting her head at all because it was so low, but she was able to get a quick peak at her lil face and boy does she have some chubby cheeks!!! Next she moved on to her heart and said it looked awesome and was beating at 142. She did a quick scan of her organs and everything looked great...and totally looks like she has grown!!! Then she moved on to Makenzie we got a great look at her face and she was even sticking her tongue out at us...or it may have really been at her sister because as you will see below they have grown so much that Makayla's knee was all up in Makenzie's face...these poor girls have no where to go other than all over each other! Its absolutely amazing me to me how they have grown and developed! Next the tech checked out Makenzie's heart (which was beating in the 130's) and organs and everything looked awesome and she looked like she has grown as well.

On to the important stuff...she measured Makenzie's ventricles in her brain. Two weeks ago it measured at a 10.19 and today it measured at 10.3 (which is a slight bit more, but could be how the tech measured it). The normal range is anywhere from 1 to 10 so it is just barely out of the normal range. The Dr today said there is no reason to do anything differently or to induce at this point or to worry. Once we do deliver they will then do a brain scan on Makenzie to check and see if there is anything to truly be concerned about or to do. There are so many things that could be causing this and options of what may have to be done, but we are going to stay positive, trust in God, and not even go there at this point. The Dr today made so much more sense to us and seemed very confident that there will be no problems, which made us feel so much better about it all. He does want to do a follow up scan one more time though just to make extra sure.

As far as how we will deliver...well Makenzie is still transverse and as squished as they are it is not likely to change. The Dr today said that depending on the Dr some will allow us to try to deliver vaginally first, but we are taking a HUGE risk because there is a big possiblity that Makayla could come out just fine; however we may still have to have a C-Section for Makenzie if she does not turn. He said that is awful and best to avoid that option. But it all depends on our Dr's office and what they want to do and suggest. We will talk to our Dr about this on Thursday and go from there and make the best decision for the girls because that is what matters! Will keep you posted just please pray for us to be able to make the best decision!

Here are the ultrasound pictures from today...again they did not scan in well, but you can still see how adorable they are (not that I am biased or anything)


Above and below is Makayla's knee on the left (baby A) and Makenzie's face on the right(baby B)

Makenzie sticking her lil tongue out at us

Makenzie's face (look at those lips!!!)

Finally a picture of Makayla's face...well at least part of it and check out those chubby cheeks!!!

This is suppose to be hair on Makenzie (I don't really get it but the tech said there was a lot?!)

Makenzie waving at us

Thank you all for all of your prayers most importantly (the power of prayer is amazing) and we appreciate all of your sweet messages and calls!!!

34 Weeks...I cannot believe it!!! Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!!! PTL!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2011

Tomorrow

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that not only is tomorrow a BIG day to determine what is going on with MaKenzie's brain and make sure that her ventricles are great and not swelling at all, and that both girls are growing on track,  BUT it also is most likely going to determine if we will have a C-Section or not. Our one Dr told us at our 32 week appointment that we should know for sure at 34 weeks because with twins there is not enough room for them to really move that much and switch positions after that point. As of 32 weeks Makayla was head down (not only head down but she could totally feel her head and was shocked at how low she was...deff freaked out the hubby a bit), and Makenzie was still transverse. If they are not both head down then we will most likely go ahead and have to schedule a C-Section. Still anything could happen between now and the actual day, but the chances are tomorrow will determine how we will most likely deliver. So as you can see we could use some prayers!!! I know no matter what it is all going to be the way God has it planned, and all that matters at the end of the day is that the girls are here and healthy!!!

Quick Update

Sorry I have been slack about updating this last week. I have just not really felt up to it to be honest...between the whole tooth ordeal/pain and the pains of pregnanacy plus the swelling and back/hip pain I've just been keeping to myself and trying to take care of the girls and me first and foremost. But I did want to let you all know that I did survive the wisdom tooth extraction and it did not cause me to go into labor...thank you all so much for your prayers!!! Our OB appointment on Friday went fine. I am now 80% effaced, but still not dialated. Of course this can change at any moment, but for now looks like the girls are continuing to grow and develop! Everything else is pretty much the same. We go tomorrow morning to Duke for the growth scan and follow up scan for Makenzie's brain so I am looking very forward to that and would appreciate prayers. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and I will update on tomorrows appointment as soon as we can.

Can you believe tomorrow is 34 weeks?! Woooooooooohooooooooooooooo!!!

June 1, 2011

33 Week Update

Monday marked 33 weeks and we are just so blessed and excited to say that! Like I said...we had all those scares, months of bed rest, steroids, and all that good stuff and now these little girls are gonna wait till they are as big as can be and come at the last second. All that matters is that they are healthy though...and that is what is keeping me going!!!

Our next OB appointment is on Friday...its just a check up though so they will just check me out and listen to the girls heartbeats and just the normal stuff. Considering last week they could feel Makayla's head and I was 50% effaced I am interested to see if anything has changed. Then next Monday we will go back to Duke for another growth scan and the biggest thing is to check on Makenzie's ventricles in her brain and see whats going on there. I can't wait for this appointment!!!! We will update as soon as we can...in the meantime please pray the girls are still growing as healthy as can be and that Makenzie's brain is perfectly fine and no problems for either girl (or me)!

Now as far as I go...well lets just say I could use some prayers!!! Not only am I as big as a house, completely uncomfortable, back/hips killing me, swollen like a pig from head to toe, but now I have a wisdom tooth that has decided its time to come in and get infected! Looooooooonnngggg story very short I was having all these weird things go on for the last week and thought maybe I was developing preeclampsia, but as it turns out a lot of the same symptoms from that can mean a lot of other things and in this case the same symptoms are because my tooth is abscessed! So because it is infected it can not only cause labor, but the infection can negatively affect the babies. Therefore tomorrow I will be having my tooth extracted :( Could it be any better timing?! Ugghhh I am so frustrated...there is only so much they can do because I am pregnant and to help with the pain. Plus doing it can cause labor and clearly the last thing I want is for this to affect the girls at all so I am nervous for MANY reasons, but the risk versus benefit in this case according to the Dr's is to extract it immediately. I know that this is the best for the girls and like I have said this entire pregnancy I can deal with the pain and all the crap as long as the girls are ok.

I really don't want to complain about any of this because I know what a HUGE blessing these girls are, but its just one of those days and I could use some prayers! Every day is not perfect or easy and that is how life goes and I am well aware of that, but we are so blessed and know that no matter how tough some days are God is in control and with Him all things are possible! Plus lets be honest...I am 33 weeks pregnant with twins, GINORMOUS (how could I possibly grow anymore), beyond uncomfy (to the point I need help doing the simplest things like getting up), over 75 days of bed rest, pre-existing back and hip conditionsalong with arthritis and nerve damage just to name a couple, plus all the fun side affects that come along with pregnancy (and if it can happen it has most likely happened or happening), I am swollen beyond belief, contractions night and day, and now I have to have a tooth extracted?! I think I am allowed a moment to vent/complain. However, I know that all of this is going to be so worth it when we meet our lil M and M's and that is what keeps me going!!!

From then to now!

Wow…what a difference a trimester makes!!!



All pictures by Tonya Mae Photography