April 11, 2012

Endoscopy


I cannot believe that the 13th is almost here already. When we first went to Duke and tentatively scheduled Makenzie for an Endoscopy it seemed far away, but here it is sneaking up on us already.
After receiving normal results from the Cystic Fibrosis Test and Gastric Emptying Study we were extremely happy and thankful. We were also nervous though because that meant we would be moving forward with the Endoscopy which means having to put Makenzie under anesthesia. We questioned whether or not we should move forward...what if everything comes back normal and we put her through this for nothing?! Well honestly we want everything to come back normal as nice as answers would be we don't want them to find anything wrong with her.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had long and detailed conversations with Makenzie's pediatrician and staff at Duke to reassure us on what was best to do. The pediatrician, Dr T, told me that they do not take these things lightly at all and based on her history, symptoms, and weight this is absolutely necessary in order to rule things out. Not only that but there are only a few GI specialists in the state and there is a loooong waiting list to get in with one so she said if they don't see the need to continue even seeing a patient they have no problem releasing them quickly. Dr T said she would absolutely go forward with this and hopefully they will rule all the possibilities out. All of the staff at Duke (who are moms themselves) said based on everything (and they used a bunch of big words that I really did not understand) also confirmed we should  absolutely do it. So after discussing things with Carl and all the consults we are going to listen to their recommendations and do it!

We have been asked what they are looking for. Well the answer is a lot and to be honest its a lot of big words and after my experience with "Dr Google" in the past I have decided instead of obsessing over the possibilities we will just wait and see what happens Friday. There is no point in worrying about what could be when it could all be normal.

What if everything is normal from the Endoscopy then what?! That will be AWESOME, but we still have to figure out what is going on so we will regroup with the Drs at Duke and go from there.

Everyone I know keeps saying well maybe she is just tiny...duh we know she is going to be tiny. The problem is not that she is tiny! The main concern of all the medical professionals is she has fallen off the growth curve she was on. Each individual sets their own growth curve evidently. Its one thing to be small all along but to fall off suddenly and even lose weight is not normal. There are so many possibilities and reasons from head to toe that this happens, and we are in the process of ruling those causes/possiblities out. Not to even mention how sick she gets...yes I know all kids have some reflux and get sick (as long as they are gaining weight though it is not usually a concern at all), but trust me if you saw it happen you would realize Makenzie getting sick is not normal...especially when it comes from her nose (poor girl looks like the exorcist) plus the weight loss! The last couple weeks have been better and she has not been vomiting everything up at night which is wonderful, however she is not gaining weight and gets sick randomly throughout the day now which is concerning. Since Makenzie's 6 month appointment to her appointment yesterday sweet girl has gained only 1 pound in a little over 3 months (Dr T said she should be gaining at least a half ounce a day which she is no where near). So if they want to run tests in order to rule every single cause/possibility out it is our job as her parents to follow the professionals lead and listen to all of their major concerns and make sure nothing is wrong in order to get her healthy and growing!

Please continue to think and pray for our sweet little Makenzie and all of us throughout this. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment